Whether you're new to Tolcap, or introducing Tolerance Analysis to colleagues, you may find our
‘Tolcap Training’ slides useful. They:
- demonstrate the importance of tolerance allocation and process capability in design and manufacture.
- introduce the Tolcap methodology and software, and its role in engineering capable products.
Papers and documents:
Design for Process Capable Tolerances, Engineering Designer, Jan/Feb 2010 updated 2017.
- Counting the Cost of Quality – and counter those disastrous 'cost savings',
Engineering Designer, Sept/Oct 2010 updated 2017.
Process-based tolerance assessment of connecting rod machining process
– This paper uses Tolcap to get process capable tolerances for the analysis, Jan 2017.
Process capability improvement through DMAIC for aluminum alloy wheel machining
– A Tolcap utilizing research paper by G.V.S.S. Sharma, P. Srinivasa Rao, B. Surendra Babu, July 2017.
Save Money By Understanding Variance and Tolerancing, Paper originally in the Journal of Medical Device Technology by Team Consulting.
Process Capable Tolerancing, Publication in Machine Design.
Compact explanations of
Tolcap relevant terms.
Books and papers for further background on the methodology embedded in Tolcap:
- 'Effecting a quality change: an engineering approach', S W. Field & K G Swift. London: Arnold; New York : Wiley, 1996.
- 'Process Selection – from design to manufacture', 2nd Edition K G Swift & J D Booker, Butterworth Heinemann, London, 2003
- 'Designing Capable and Reliable Products', J D Booker, M Raines & K G Swift, Publisher: Butterworth Heinemann, London, 2001
- 'Conformability Analysis in Support of Design for Quality', Batchelor, R. & Swift, K. G. Proc. Instn. Mech. Eng., Part B, 210, 37-47,1996